Thursday 28 March 2013

Melbourne Rod Laver Arena - 3



Ticket: GA (Priority, #32 in line)

The third night in Melbourne - just like Sydney - really saw Springsteen and The E Street Band take off.

The last chance for me to join in the crazy antics of lining up 24 hours early, having a number scrawled on my hand with a marker and roll calls every 3 hours, saw me once again with a few other lucky fans in the direct firing line of everything on the stage.

And that meant finally, after abandoning my sign following two nights of failed requests that I would be in prime position for the epic Lost In The Flood.
A powerful performance from Springsteen that lived up to all the anticipation of the previous shows, the man took on full lead guitar duties and blasted out the song to a crowd simply lost in awe.

As if that wasn't the only great favourite to come out, Springsteen's first request of the night was the brilliant live My Love Will Not Let You Down - famously the first song on the Live In New York City concert which I first saw on TV almost 15 years ago and that first made me realise I had to see the band live.

All these years on, the song from the Tracks collection has lost none of its power and energy.

Another highlight of the night was the inclusion of I'm Goin' Down - added to the setlist in honour of two twin sisters that have been following Springsteen around Australia and the states - proving dedication to the band doesn't go unnoticed by the world's greatest entertainer.

The whole night was one that left the audience in awe of everything Springsteen and E Street.

For the first time he even led the horn and choir section through around the arena and back to the stage, instead of just his solo runs occasionally accompanied by guitarist Nils Lofgren.

The addition of a powerful Youngstown, fierce Murder Incorporated and a flawless Jungleland with Jake Clemons answering the call to his growing legion of superfans, sealed the night as a favourite of the tour so far for many.



And I haven't even mentioned the addition of Long Walk Home and Radio Nowhere - two touches from Magic that opened the show, and the request of Better Days. A crowd favourite performed by the band for the first time in a decade.

An end to the Australian arena shows and the smaller audiences - I'm more used to seeing them with 50 to 80,000 others - Springsteen and the band owned every venue.

Even when he was reported ill at the early Sydney shows, there was a never ending commitment to engage with the crowd and bring them into the show.
After eight shows now it is impossible to say which one was best, only that every single one had it's own incredible highlights.

And Melbourne 3 had more than its fair share.

Setlist:

1. Long Walk Home
2. Radio Nowhere
3. My Love Will Not Let You Down (Request)
4. BETTER DAYS (Request)
5. We Take Care Of Our Own
6. Wrecking Ball
7. Death To My Hometown
8. Out In The Street
9. Factory
10. Lost In The Flood
11. High Hopes
12. Does This Bus Stop At 82nd Street
13. Candy’s Room (Request)
14. Youngstown
15. Murder Incorporated
16. Pay Me My Money Down
17. I’m Goin’ Down
18. Shackled & Drawn
19. Waitin’ On A Sunny Day
20. The Rising
21. The Ghost of Tom Joad
22. Badlands

23. Jungleland
24. Born To Run
25. Dancing In The Dark
26. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
27. American Land


3 comments:

  1. Corey I just wanted to say we have really enjoyed the blog and admire your dedication - we attended Melbourne #1 and are still spellbound, so can only imagine how you must be feeling after your epic journey so far. Thanks for the great posts and enjoy the Hanging Rock concerts.

    PS just wondering if you can tell us which song in the first concert in Melbourne Tom M played a solo with his teeth - was about four or five songs in I think?

    Cheers

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David,

      I believe that song was High Hopes. A cover that has been really popular on this tour.
      Possibly one of my favourites!
      (Apologies for late reply - I can't see comments on iPad or iPhone which I have been using throughout my trip to write these posts!)

      Delete
  2. Thanks very much for your large information .And knowledge full description . I think it is Sus a topic that many kinds of people face many problems. thanks for this. seo Melbourne

    ReplyDelete